Fire reminds of heat lamp dangers
A structural fire in the 100 block of west Wilson in Viola burned a shed and detached garage on Feb. 5. The fire was believed to have been caused by a heat lamp. Staff photo/Paul Rhodes
By Jen Bookhout
    Several fire departments responded to a structural fire in the 100 block of west Wilson in Viola on the afternoon of Feb. 5.
    The Viola, Conway Springs, Clearwater and Sedgwick County fire departments have an automatic aide agreement requiring every department to respond to structural fires. The Feb. 5 fire burned a detached garage and shed near the garage.
    “We have a pretty good suspicion it was a heat lamp that caused it,” Viola Fire Chief Jim Patterson said.
    The fire was under control within 10-12 minutes, Patterson said. However, the fire has served as a reminder of the dangers that can arise from various heating devices.
    “Whenever the weather gets like this, people using heat lamps ought to be aware of their surroundings so stuff like this doesn’t happen,” Patterson said.